Sunday, November 7, 2010

Strumpets of Sodoma – the Burning


Proverbs 7
 1 My son, keep my words 
   and store up my commands within you. 
2 Keep my commands and you will live; 
   guard my teachings as the apple of your eye. 
3 Bind them on your fingers; 
   write them on the tablet of your heart. 
4 Say to wisdom, “You are my sister,” 
   and to insight, “You are my relative.” 
5 They will keep you from the whorish woman, 
   from the wayward woman with her seductive words.
 6 At the window of my house
   I looked down through the lattice.
7 I saw among the simple,
   I noticed among the young men,
   a youth who had no sense.
8 He was going down the street near her corner,
   walking along in the direction of her house
9 at twilight, as the day was fading,
   as the dark of night set in.
 10 Then out came a woman to meet him,
   dressed like a prostitute and with crafty intent.
11 (She is unruly and defiant,
   her feet never stay at home;
12 now in the street, now in the squares,
   at every corner she lurks.)
13 She took hold of him and kissed him
   and with a brazen face she said:
 14 “Today I fulfilled my vows,
   and I have food from my fellowship offering at home.
15 So I came out to meet you;
   I looked for you and have found you!
16 I have covered my bed
   with colored linens from Egypt.
17 I have perfumed my bed
   with myrrh, aloes and cinnamon.
18 Come, let’s drink deeply of love till morning;
   let’s enjoy ourselves with love!
19 My husband is not at home;
   he has gone on a long journey.
20 He took his purse filled with money
   and will not be home till full moon.”
 21 With persuasive words she led him astray;
   she seduced him with her smooth talk.
22 All at once he followed her
   like an ox going to the slaughter,
like a deer stepping into a noose
 23 till an arrow pierces his liver,
like a bird darting into a snare,
   little knowing it will cost him his life.
 24 Now then, my sons, listen to me;
   pay attention to what I say.
25 Do not let your heart turn to her ways
   or stray into her paths.
26 Many are the victims she has brought down;
   her slain are a mighty throng.
27 Her house is a highway to the grave,
   leading down to the chambers of death.

The Seduction of Sir Simple.

Picture Credits
The following images have been used for this visual narrative:

Gustave Dore

James E McConnell


John Martin


John Martin

Diogo Pereira
Massys Jan


Louis de Caullery


No comments:

Post a Comment