Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Fair Lady

This comic is about a young single woman, a coquette who likes to trifle and flirt with the opposite sex. It is set in Victorian England.

I have used public domain images to set the story.

Where are my pearls?

Unfortunately I made two botches on here, but fear not I have twink and sponges with ink. I make a sponged background which hopefully is more forgiving of my ink renditions that go off course, than just plain white paper.

More can be found by going to Phantasmagoria.thecomicseries.com/comics/ and you can also fan the Facebook page

The quotes are:

"But give a sly flirtation by the light of a chandelier with music to play in the pauses, and nobody very near." (Nathanial P. Wilks, 1806 – 1867).

"Madam, you pinch your waist so tight, as to shock all men in their senses; your husband still you could delight; as closely pull in your expenses." (Punch 1873).

But all is not lost, turn your toad into a prince:

Pick up the story when the King’s daughter drops her golden ball in the stream.

“At this she began to cry, and cried louder and louder, and could not be comforted. And as she thus lamented someone said to her, “What ails you, king’s daughter? You weep so that even a stone would show pity.”
She looked round to the side from whence the voice came, and saw a frog stretching forth its big, ugly head from the water. “Ah, old water-splasher, is it you,” she said, “I am weeping for my golden ball, which has fallen into the well.” “Be quiet, and do not weep,” answered the frog, “I can help you, but what will you give me if I bring your play thing up again?” “Whatever you will have, dear frog,” said she, “My clothes, my pearls and jewels, and even the golden crown which I am wearing.” The frog answered, “I do not care for your clothes, your pearls and jewels, nor for your golden crown, but if you will love me and let me be your companion and play-fellow, and sit by you at your little table, and eat off your little golden plate, and drink out of your little cup, and sleep in your little bed – if you will promise me this I will go down below, and bring you your golden ball up again.”

“Oh yes,” said she, “I promise you all you wish, if you will but bring me my ball back again.” But she thought, “How the silly frog does talk. All he does is to sit in the water with the other frogs, and croak. He can be no companion to any human being.”

Break from the story and continuing on.

“What does a frog want with you?”
“Ah, dear father, yesterday as I was in the forest sitting by the well, playing, my golden ball fell into the water. And because I cried so, the frog brought it out again for me, and because he so insisted, I promised him he should be my companion, but I never thought he would be able to come out of his water. And now he is outside there, and wants to come in to me.”
Then said the king, “That which you have promised must you perform. Go and let him in.”

The king’s daughter began to cry, for she was afraid of the cold frog which she did not like to touch, and which was now to sleep in her pretty, clean little bed. But the king grew angry and said, “He who helped you when you were in trouble ought not afterwards to be despised by you.” So she took hold of the frog with two fingers, carried him upstairs, and put him in a corner, but when she was in bed he crept to her and said, “I am tired, I want to sleep as well as you, lift me up or I will tell your father.” At this she was terribly angry, and took him up and threw him with all her might against the wall. “Now, will you be quiet, odious frog,” said she. But when he fell down he was no frog but a king’s son with kind and beautiful eyes. He by her father’s will was now her dear companion and husband. Then he told her how he had been bewitched by a wicked witch, and how no one could have delivered him from the well but herself, and that tomorrow they would go together into his kingdom.”

Arthur Rackman Illustration of the Frog and His Prince
I guess if you want to look at the moral of the story, when he is figuratively thrown against the wall, it removes all his ugliness and he becomes a prince. So if you can change your man into something better, he will turn out to be a prince (har). The thing is it might be painful removing his old clothes, and old ways for the new man to be revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment